- 1. bear all or part of the weight of; hold up: "the dome was supported by a hundred white columns" synonyms:
- 2. give assistance to, especially financially; enable to function or act: "the government gives $2.5 billion a year to support the activities of the voluntary sector" synonyms: antonyms:
- 1. a thing that bears the weight of something or keeps it upright: "the best support for a camera is a tripod" synonyms:
- 2. material assistance: "he urged that military support be sent to protect humanitarian convoys" synonyms:
Powered by Oxford Dictionaries
12. maintenance, as of a person or family, with necessaries, means, or funds. 13. a person or thing that supports, esp. financially. 14. assistance and service provided by a manufacturer, vendor, etc., to customers, esp. over the phone: Many software companies have hotlines for tech support.
maintenance, as of a person or family, with necessaries, means, or funds: to pay for support of an orphan. a person or thing that supports, as financially: The pension was his only support. a person or thing that gives aid or assistance. an actor, actress, or group performing with a lead performer.
These examples of support are from the Cambridge English Corpus and from sources on the web. Any opinions in the examples do not represent the opinion of the Cambridge Dictionary editors or of Cambridge University Press or its licensors.
Definition of support for English Language Learners. : the act of showing that you believe that someone or something is good or acceptable : approval of someone or something : the act of helping someone by giving love, encouragement, etc.
Definition of 'support'. support. If you support someone or their ideas or aims, you agree with them, and perhaps help them because you want them to succeed. The vice president insisted that he supported the hard-working people of New York. They pressed the party to support a total ban on pesticides.
support definition: Support is defined as to provide comfort, encouragement or financial assistance to someone. (verb) An example of support is listening to a friend in need. An example of support is lending money to a sibling. ...
In support of his deposition he produced his billet de garde, dated the 8th. Both will afford me encouragement and support in the vicissitudes which yet await me. In supporting it, therefore, we support all that is dear to the freeman and the philanthropist.
support, uphold, advocate, back, champion mean to favor actively one that meets opposition. support is least explicit about the nature of the assistance given. supports waterfront development; uphold implies extended support given to something attacked. upheld the legitimacy of the military action; advocate stresses urging or pleading.
Price Levels: Support and Resistance. A resistance level is the opposite of a support level, but is still a category of price levels. As opposed to the support level, resistance level is the price level at which the upward price experiences a stall or is impeded. Resistance levels occur from an overabundant level of supply of a particular stock.
Used Rarely. support mechanism is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary