- 1. a broad piece of metal or another suitable material, held by straps or a handle attached on one side, used as a protection against blows or missiles. synonyms:
- 2. a person or thing providing protection: "a protective coating of grease provides a shield against abrasive dirt" synonyms:
- 1. protect (someone or something) from a danger, risk, or unpleasant experience: "he pulled the cap lower to shield his eyes from the glare"
Powered by Oxford Dictionaries
a broad piece of armor, varying widely in form and size, carried apart from the body, usually on the left arm, as a defense against swords, lances, arrows, etc. a similar device, often of lightweight plastic, used by riot police to protect themselves from rocks and other thrown objects.
Definition of shield. 1 : a broad piece of defensive armor carried on the arm. 2 : one that protects or defends : defense. 3 : dress shield. 4 a : a device or part that serves as a protective cover or barrier. b : a protective structure (such as a carapace, scale, or plate) of some animals.
5. something shaped like a shield. 6. a police officer's, detective's, or sheriff's badge. 7. a bulletproof screen attached to a gun to protect its crew, mechanism, etc. 8. a protective plate or the like on the body of an animal, as a scute, enlarged scale, etc.
1. countable noun [usually singular] Something or someone which is a shield against a particular danger or risk provides protection from it. He used his left hand as a shield against the reflecting sunlight. ...asbestos heat shields.
shield definition: 1. in the past, a large, flat object made of metal or leather that soldiers held in front of their bodies to protect themselves 2. a large, flat ...
The definition of a shield is a person or thing that protects, blocks, guards or defends. An example of a shield is the flat piece of metal carried by riot police to protect their bodies against protesters.
different sides of the same shield Two different, contrary, or opposite perspectives about or aspects of something. We fear death because it seems unknown to us, but ...
shield suggests protective intervention in imminent danger or actual attack. shielded her eyes from the sun with her hand guard implies protecting with vigilance and force against expected danger.
Shield. The modern term usually refers to a device that is held in the hand or attached to the arm, as opposed to an armored suit or a bullet-proof vest. Shields are also sometimes mounted on vehicle-mounted weapons to protect the operator.
S.H.I.E.L.D. is a fictional espionage, special law enforcement, and counter-terrorism agency appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics.