- 1. a very young child, especially one newly or recently born: "his wife's just had a baby" synonyms
- 2. a young woman or a person with whom one is having a romantic relationship (often as a form of address): informal "my baby left me for another guy" synonyms
- 1. comparatively small or immature of its kind: "a baby grand piano"
- 1. treat (someone) as a baby; pamper or be overprotective toward: "her aunt babied her and fussed over her clothes"
Powered by Oxford Dictionaries
noun plural -bies a newborn or recently born child; infant. (as modifier) baby food.
6. slang a young woman or sweetheart: often used as a term of address expressing affection. 7. a project of personal concern. 8. be left holding the baby to be left with the responsibility. 9. throw the baby out with the bath water to lose the essential element by indiscriminate rejection.
Baby definition is - an extremely young child; especially : infant. How to use baby in a sentence. Synonym Discussion of baby.
Infant. An infant (from the Latin word infans, meaning "unable to speak" or "speechless") is the more formal or specialised synonym for " baby ", the very young offspring of a human. The term may also be used to refer to juveniles of other organisms. A newborn is, in colloquial use, an infant who is only hours, days,...
baby definition: 1. a very young child, especially one that has not yet begun to walk or talk: 2. a very young…. Learn more.
What does baby mean? baby is defined by the lexicographers at Oxford Dictionaries as A very young child., A lover or spouse (often as a form of address)
baby Doe legislation a law that requires health care providers to provide treatment for severely handicapped newborns except when death appears inevitable, when treatment merely prolongs inevitable death, or when treatment is so futile as to be inhumane. The 1984 regulations give broader discretion to providers and parents than the original bill and carry out provisions of the Child Abuse Prevention Amendments of 1984.
A person you love a lot and want to call them a cute name. Baby you mean the world to me and nothing can change that, not even my family. Get a mug for your guy Georges.
Babies definition, an infant or very young child. See more.
The Oxford English Dictionary dates the modern meaning of the term to a January 23, 1970, article in The Washington Post. Pew Research Center defines baby boomers as being born between 1946 and 1964. The United States Census Bureau defines baby boomers as "individuals born in the United States between mid-1946 and mid-1964."